The average cost of legal fees for a divorce is around $17,500 for a divorcing spouse with no children and around $26,000 for a divorcing spouse with kids. The average duration of divorce proceedings in California is 8 to 20 months with an average of 15 months between filing divorce papers and the official granting of a divorce. Without kids, a divorce can take about a year. With kids, it can take 18 months or longer.
The average cost of a divorce in California is about 37% higher than anywhere else in the country. Attorneys' fees, expenses, court filing fees, and consulting fees all contribute to the high cost of divorce in California.
Filing fees alone are $435 in San Diego and up to $450 in other states. There may also be additional costs associated with serving your spouse with divorce papers, copying legal documents and hiring expert witnesses.
If you're open to compromise, you'll save time and money during the divorce process. While it's understandable to want everything you believe you're entitled to, standing firm on every point will mean racking up more legal fees as negotiations stall. Instead, prioritize what's most important to you so that you can fight for what matters most. Know what you need to feel secure moving forward, whether that means keeping possession of certain assets or maintaining a particular level of custody but stay open-minded about areas where you can give a little to expedite the process.
Benefits of hiring an attorney:
- Expertise and Experience: A divorce attorney has extensive experience in divorce cases and is familiar with the laws governing divorce proceedings in California. They can guide you through the process, ensuring that all legal procedures are followed properly.
- Objective Advice: When going through a divorce, emotions tend to run high. A divorce attorney can provide objective advice during this difficult time. They'll help you understand your legal rights and options while keeping your best interests in mind.
- Negotiating Settlements: An experienced divorce attorney will negotiate the terms of your divorce settlement on your behalf. Issues relating to property division, spousal support, and child custody arrangements can be incredibly complicated. Having an experienced and capable attorney by your side can make all the difference.
- Reduced Stress: Going through a divorce is never easy, but having an attorney by your side can reduce some of the stress associated with it. Letting them handle the legalities allows you to focus on healing and moving forward.
- Favorable Outcomes: While favorable outcomes cannot be guaranteed, working with a skilled divorce attorney increases your likelihood of a favorable outcome, including more equitable distribution of assets, better child custody terms, and financial provisions that meet your needs.
Livingstone Law APC. has the experience and knowledge necessary to provide you quality legal representation at an appropriate and fair price. Call or email Livingstone Law APC. today and see how we can help you.
*The information provided above is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as legal advice.